The Knoxville Incline was built in 1890 and was located in Pittsburgh's South Side neighborhood. The incline was designed with an 18-degree curve and had the longest track ever built in Pittsburgh at 2,644 feet. It was the second incline in Pittsburgh with a curved track. The Knoxville Incline's route went from South 11th Street to Warrington Avenue and then to Knoxville Avenue. The incline's huge cars, designed by John M. McRoberts, were large enough to carry cars or heavy freight. The Knoxville Incline was dismantled in 1961.
This incline boasted a total length of 1/2 mile, 370 vertical feet, and 14% grade. The incline was a double-track railway of 9 foot gauge, 60 pound rails laid on wooden ties resting on ballad or steel girders. Each car Weighed about 10 tons and was specially designed to carry street cars of that period and other vehicles. A special enclosed and heated compartment was provided for single passengers.
Cache is a small metal candy box, 4"x3"x1" size.
Reccomended approach is to park nearby the intersection of S 10th St and Freyburg St (N 40° 25.592 W 079° 59.310), and walk up the pedestrian overpass to get over the railroad tracks, and then follow Fritz St (east direction), continue on it after from the point where it becomes a non-paved trail to the point where an old steel bridge is located.
Archival historical images are from http://images.library.pitt.edu