Rev. J. A. Nash Park
In Iowa, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Rev. J. A. Nash Park was created in 1901. In 1959, the city approved plans for a fire station on the north side of the park for $175,000. Nash was the material grandfather of John McVicar the Mayor of Des Moines from 1942-1948 after which today’s Interstate 235 was named.
The only remains of the Rev. J. A. Nash Park is a triangular shape of land at the intersection of 9th and University. In 1994, President Clinton designated the Enterprise Community in the city of Des Moines to receive 3 million in Federal Grant dollars.
Who is this guy Rev. J. A. Nash???
Rev. John A. Nash came to Iowa on mission work. He was warmly greeted by the few Baptist people at a small wooden building which stood where Reed's leather store now stands on Walnut Street. Mr. Nash preached his first sermon on the special invitation of Father Bird. February 18, 1851, a meeting was held at the court-house and the First Baptist Church was organized and Mr. Nash was elected pastor at a salary of four hundred and fifty dollars, of which the church paid fifty dollars. Mr. Nash resigned his pastorate in 1865.
In the fall of 1853 Rev. J. A. Nash and his wife opened a select school of high grade, which was known as Forest Home Seminary, which was continued about eight years. It was located in what is now Callanan's addition to the city on Ninth street, and was a beautiful spot, for many years occupied as a residence by James Callanan.
Not recommended at Night...Extreme Stealth required
Yhxr 11:16 (AVI)
Last Updated: on 4/5/2015 8:41:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time (3:41 AM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum