(In your best drill instructor voice)
Welcome to training camp maggot!
This cache is basic training for you and your geocaching skills. For this cache you will need a pen or pencil, paper, compass, basic math (bring a calculator if you need it) and your thinking cap!
The cache is in a small park that was once part of Camp Randall, where thousands of soldiers trained during the Civil War. This park is also next to the College of Engineering, at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, which is what makes it interesting for Geocachers. The park is set up for Engineering students to use as a survey lab. The park contains about 20 survey monuments that are used by the classes. You will need to find some of these monuments and record the number stamped into them in order to find the cache. This is not a large park and you will need to be as accurate as you can in finding the monuments. Be aware that more that one marker could be within the error of your receiver's accuracy.
- Start at coordinates: N 43º 4.236' W 089º 24.568' and record the marker's number: AAA
- Go to N 43º 4.(AAA)' W 089º 24.(AAA+365)'
- Walk on a bearing of 325º from magnetic north for 27 paces and record the marker's number: BBB
- Go to N 43º 4.(BBB-50)' W 089º 24.(BBB+296)'
- Walk on a bearing of 223º from magnetic north for 24 paces. Record the three numbers you see in the appropriate locations below.
- Add SMALLEST+LARGEST= CCCC Then remove last digit from the number CCCC to get CCC (example 1234 = 123).
- Divide MIDDLE by 3 and then subtract 6 = DDD (discard any fractional remainder).
- Go to N 43º 4.(CCC)’ W 089º 24.( DDD)’ and record the marker’s number: EEE.
- Add AAA+BBB+CCC+DDD+EEE= FFFF
- 6859.703 / FFFF = G.GGG’
- 39869.494 / FFFF= HH.HHH’
You can find your goal at N 43º G.GGG’ W 089º HH.HHH’
The cache container is small.. It’s opening is about 2.5” round and less than 2” deep. If you want to leave something, make it small. Bring a pen or pencil to use when signing the logbook. Please replace the cache exactly as you found it, and use discretion when others are around.
- Park in the UW Credit Union lot (N 43º 4.236’ W 089º 24.568’) or nearby metered stall. UW lots are patrolled heavily during posted hours!
- If there are surveying students using the park try not to disturb their labs
- This one might be very hard with snow cover as the monuments are at ground level
- DON'T even bother with this cache on the day of a Badger home football game. The park is next to the stadium and gets very crowded. Plus, parking is non-existant on game days.
- Please don't remove any building parts, you are in the wrong place!
- This cache is a hard one to find, don't give up. If at first you don't succeed...try, try again....