Geocaching.com


Geocaching

Welcome, Visitor!

Sign in with Facebook

Sign in with Geocaching

Forgot Username/Password

Traditional Cache

The Lost Civilization of Delhi

A cache by BakRdz
Hidden : 1/12/2010
In Wisconsin, United States
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

This cache is a part of a series highlighting Winnebago County’s “Lost Civilizations”. It was formerly part of the The Quest for Lost Civilizations (GC22CJE) series, which has now been archived.



In the modern day Town of Rushford, William Powell along with a band of Menominee Indians started a trading post in 1836 on the north side of the Fox River. In 1848, Luke LaBorde bought the post. Wanting to be able to trade with the white settlers that were moving to the area on the south side of the river and not with the Menomonee who still laid claim to the north side, he moved the post across the river and named the area LaBorde’s Landing. About 1850, the settlers to the area wanted a post office established, but discovered that government regulation prohibited the use of “Landing” in any post office name. Thus, the name of the village was changed to Delhi (pronounced DELL-high) and a post office was established there and operated until 1893.

On January 14, 1851, a plat for the village was recorded with LaBorde as proprietor. Thirteen streets were platted although few ever became a reality. By 1853, Delhi was reported to have a population of 150 residents with 40 dwellings, three stores, two mills, one hotel, and a school. Unfortunately, LaBorde’s dream was not meant to last. Bridges built across the Fox River at Omro and Eureka finally caused the loss of most traffic crossing the river at Delhi, and the area was soon reduced to a ghost town. Today, a few private residences exist in the area and one of the only reminders of the village’s existence is the name of the road that runs from Waukau to the former area.

The cache is a small metal container hidden along the road near the channel. No need to enter private property.

This cache placed by
a member of:

(click to visit our website)

***CONGRATS to jstajlr on being the First Discoverer of Delhi!

Additional Hints (No hints available.)

Advertising with Us

Inventory

There are no Trackables in this cache.

 

Find...

69 Logged Visits

Found it 64     Didn't find it 1     Write note 1     Temporarily Disable Listing 1     Enable Listing 1     Publish Listing 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 5 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 12/5/2013 9:16:02 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (5:16 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum