Hamburg State Outdoor Recreation Area
Park: Hamburg State Outdoor Recreation Area
Cache type: Traditional
Coordinates: N 33° 12.669 W 082° 46.926
|Cache Description: The park's lake, boat ramp, trails and picnic area are open year-round, but the office is closed. The mill is used for special events and corn grindings. For more information about Hamburg State Outdoor Recreation Area, call A.H. Stephens State Park at 706-456-2602.
When you're ready to find the cache look for the trail head at N33 12.435 W082 46.705. Follow this trail until you get to the cache, you will find the ammo can just off the tail.
*Note: There is a gravel road that runs near the picnic area. This is not on park property and should not be used to go to the cache.
This cache is a letterbox cache. You will find a ink pad and a unique stamp for this park that is used for stamping your passport. Please do not remove these items from the ammo can.
Enjoy your visit at the park and remember to re-hide the cache like or better than you found it and practice, "Leave No Trace." While visiting any Georgia State Park please remain on the marked trails as you make your way to find the ammo cans.
Park: 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Office Hours: no office
Georgia State Parks GeoTour:
Geocaching is an outdoor adventure game similar to a treasure hunt played with a GPS device. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, take a trinket from the cache, leave something of greater or equal value in return for the next person and then share your experiences online. There are over a million active geocaches around the world and now with the Georgia State Parks GeoTour you can “Get Out. Get Dirty. Get Fit.“ and go geocaching in Georgia state parks.
Steps to the Georgia State Parks GeoTour:
1. Obtain a Georgia State Park GeoTour PassPort from any park or historic site or download a PDF from GaParksGeocaching.com
2. Go to Geocaching.com create a log-in and find the GPS coordinates and more information for the Georgia State Parks GeoTour locations.
3. Start your search and locate one or all caches using a hand-held GPS unit. The cache containers are sealed ammo boxes labeled as a Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites geocache. Caches are located in 43 Georgia state parks and state historic parks.
4. When you find a GeoTour cache, log your name and any comments on the logbook inside the cache and stamp your PassPort grid sheet with the unique stamp for that specific park.
5. Be sure to follow the Leave No Trace guidelines –GeorgiaStateParks.org/LeaveNoTrace
6. Follow the Traveling Gophers. There are 58 Georgia State Park & Historic Sites TravelBugs® moving around the country. Click here to see where the travel gopher for this park is now. Be on the lookout for them and help them get to a new destination.
| 7. If you’re quick, there is a “First-to-Find” special prize.
8. Find one of the “endangered” gopher stuffed toys in 10 of the caches and it’s yours to keep and protect.
9. Complete specific numbers of caches to get a custom Geo-Coin. Bring your stamped PassPort into the park’s Visitor Center and receive a voucher for your coin.
With 15 completed caches you are eligible for a bronze level coin
With 30 completed caches you are eligible for a silver level coin
With 40 completed caches you are eligible for a gold level coin
Once you find the caches for the custom geo-coins you are also eligible for a bonus cache at each level. These caches are more challenging and not required to complete the GeoTour or receive your coins. Click on the links below to access the bonus cache pages:
Bronze Bonus Cache page
Silver Bonus Cache page
Gold Bonus Cache page
|State Parks Information:
For informantion on GA Parks Geocaching: GaParksGeocaching.com
SELF-REGISTRATION CAMPSITES: Open March 15 until November 30. A Campground Host, electrical hook-ups, hot showers and dump station are provided. The park's office is closed, and camping is self-registration on a first-come, first-served basis. The park's lake, boat ramp, trails and picnic area are open year-round, and the mill is used for special events and corn grindings.
Special thanks to the Georgia Geocaching Association and member MGB/FLW, Volunteer Steward of Hamburg State Outdoor Recreation Area.
|Disclaimer to New Geocachers:
Please join us in playing! All are welcome who observe and obey the rules. Please do not move or vandalize the container. Replace the cache like or better than you found it and when you leave, and make sure the cache is completely covered. Please do not remove the rubber stamp from the ammo can, this is a essential game piece for cachers accepting the GeoTour. The real treasure is just finding the container and sharing your thoughts with everyone who finds it. Pick up a GeoTour Passport at any Park Visitor Center.
Cache Description: The cache is placed near a marked trail within the state park. Please DO NOT TRESPASS on private property, violators may be prosecuted.
|Like us on Facebook!