Fort Mountain State Park
In Georgia, United States
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Fort Mountain State Park
Park: Fort Mountain State Park
Cache type: Letterbox
Coordinates: N 34º 45.325 W 084º 42.412
Cache Description: Fort Mountain State Park is a beautiful area of history located in Murray County in North Georgia just east of Dalton and west of Ellijay. It offers a variety of activities for adventuresome folks including camping, swimming, mountain-biking and hiking. The cache is a short distance off the lake trail. Please remember to "leave no trace."
To find the cache you will need to park near the beach area, a very busy place on summer weekends! In the additional waypoints section that’s marked "Beach Front" you’ll find a good starting point. There are several other access points to choose from but we will recommend this one!
The lake trail starts to your left as you are facing the lake (to the east) the trail is very easy as you walk around the point of the lake. Be sure to enjoy the interpretive signs along the way! There are three red blazed trails off of the lake trail as you proceed in this direction. You will be looking for the (additional waypoint), "trail split".
From here you will ascend 100 ft. in the last tenth of a mile! This is the reason for the 2 star terrain rating. You will find the cache among some fallen trees.
Please re-hide the cache like or better than you found it. Please remember to "Leave no Trace" as you approach and CITO ("Cache in, Trash out) as you leave! There are two other caches near the Historic Fort area near the top of the mountain and one of the oldest and least found virtuals here in the park.
Park: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Georgia State Parks GeoTour:
Geocaching is an outdoor adventure game similar to a treasure hunt played with a GPS device. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, take a trinket from the cache, leave something of greater or equal value in return for the next person and then share your experiences online. There are over a million active geocaches around the world and now with the Georgia State Parks GeoTour you can “Get Out. Get Dirty. Get Fit.“ and go geocaching in Georgia state parks.
Steps to the Georgia State Parks GeoTour:
1. Obtain a Georgia State Park GeoTour PassPort from any park or historic site or download a PDF from GaParksGeocaching.com
2. Go to Geocaching.com create a log-in and find the GPS coordinates and more information for the Georgia State Parks GeoTour locations.
3. Start your search and locate one or all caches using a hand-held GPS unit. The cache containers are sealed ammo boxes labeled as a Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites geocache. Caches are located in 42 Georgia state parks and state historic parks.
4. When you find a GeoTour cache, log your name and any comments on the logbook inside the cache and stamp your PassPort grid sheet with the unique stamp for that specific park.
5. Be sure to follow the Leave No Trace guidelines –GeorgiaStateParks.org/LeaveNoTrace
6. Follow the Traveling Gophers. There are 58 Georgia State Park & Historic Sites TravelBugs® moving around the country. Click here to see where the travel gopher for this park is now. Be on the lookout for them and help them get to a new destination.
| 7. If you’re quick, there is a “First-to-Find” special prize.
8. Find one of the “endangered” gopher stuffed toys in 10 of the caches and it’s yours to keep and protect.
9. Complete specific numbers of caches to get a custom Geo-Coin. Bring your stamped PassPort into the park’s Visitor Center and receive a voucher for your coin.
With 15 completed caches you are eligible for a bronze level coin
With 30 completed caches you are eligible for a silver level coin
With 40 completed caches you are eligible for a gold level coin
Once you find the caches for the custom geo-coins you are also eligible for a bonus cache at each level. These caches are more challenging and not required to complete the GeoTour or receive your coins. Click on the links below to access the bonus cache pages:
Bronze Bonus Cache page
Silver Bonus Cache page
Gold Bonus Cache page
|State Parks Information:
For informantion on GA Parks Geocaching: GaParksGeocaching.com
Park: (706) 422-1932
Lodges/Cabins/Yurts/Camp Reservations: (800) 864-7275
Special thanks to the Georgia Geocaching Association and member ELJLYLE, Volunteer Steward of Fort Mountain State Park.
|Disclaimer to New Geocachers:
Please join us in playing! All are welcome who observe and obey the rules. Please do not move or vandalize the container. Replace the cache like or better than you found it and when you leave, and make sure the cache is completely covered. Please do not remove the rubber stamp from the ammo can, this is a essential game piece for cachers accepting the GeoTour. The real treasure is just finding the container and sharing your thoughts with everyone who finds it. Pick up a GeoTour Passport at any Park Visitor Center.
|Like us on Facebook!
Last Updated: on 1/31/2015 11:10:48 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (7:10 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum