Periodic Table of Geocaching Challenge
In Texas, United States
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Cache IS at the posted coordinates, but you MUST fulfill the requirements in order to log a find on this cache! Logs that have not met the challenge will be deleted.
Chemistry can be fun, especially when it involves geocaching.
There are currently 118 different elements, each with a unique symbol. If you choose to do this challenge you must find and log 100 caches with the chemical symbol in the GC code.
1. Since several letters are not used in GC codes, here are the substitutes:
2. All cache types, past and present, can be used for this challenge.
- Number 0 (zero) for the letter O.
- Number 1 may be used in place of I.
- Use 5 to replace S.
- V may be used for both V and U.
- Use 7 in place of L. (so yes, Lu will be 7V).
3. Caches can be located anywhere in the world, there are no proximity restrictions.
4. Each cache can only be used for one element. If the GC is GC34BEB, you will have to choose which element to use, beryllium or boron. GC2MKPV can be used for potassium or phosphorus or vanadium, not all three.
5. The element symbol letters must be next to each other, not separated by a number. Example, if you are going to use Sn (tin), it must be like GC2V35N not GC1M50N.
6. To document your finds to log the cache, there are two choices. Once you have found your 100 caches create a bookmark and in the notes, list the element symbol you are claiming along with the GC code. For example, GCRBTD - Rb - Rubidium. You may also make a list and post it to the cache page For the lists, include GC#, Cache Name, Element Name and Symbol and Date Found. Example: GCRBTD - ¿Qué Hora Es? - Rb - Rubidium - 01/01/11
7. You can sign the log for this challenge at any time and log a 'note' to the cache page, mentioning you signed the log. But you may not log a find until you have completed the requirements (this way you don't have to go back to sign after you complete the requirements!). Once you complete the requirements, edit your log, change it to found, and change the find date to the date you completed the requirements and list the required information.
Smile and enjoy the journey for your smiley.
Congrats to No Muggle for FTF!
This challenge cache placed by a
Come visit our website.
Unatvat ba onpx bs srapr cbfg.
Last Updated: on 8/29/2015 10:12:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time (5:12 AM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum