Ford City Mall
A Short History
1942 - Construction started to build a defense plant.17,000 workers were employed.
December 1945 - the building was left vacant and It was retrofitted for automobile production for Tucker Corporation and then Ford Motor Company
The Korean War - It was reopened to build airplane engines under contract from Ford Motor Company
1961 - Remodeled with a vision for the greatest commerce center in Chicago.
1965 - Opened as Ford City. The mall consists of two halves - a strip mall and enclosed mall connected by a tunnel called "The Connection" (originally called Peacock Alley).
Ford City Mall continues to be a major retail hub on the Southwest side of Chicago.