Superstitions: Rats 2
In Wisconsin, United States
Size:  (not chosen)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Follow the grass trail system near the shelter to the cache location. Park hours: Dawn to dusk.
Here's the story: Rats are believed to have a sixth sense regarding death and disaster; thus, by studying their actions, one can pick up timely warnings about misfortune headed one's way. As to why this might be so, it is said rats come by their foreknowledge about human events because they house the souls of the deceased.
Pay particular attention to the sight of rats deserting a ship, especially one still in port. Such an exodus is said to presage a disaster that will shortly befall the ship, even if the vessel is one that appears entirely sound.
Other rat superstitions:
- It is considered bad luck to mention the word "rats" on a ship.
- An influx of rats into a home supposedly indicates the homeowners will soon be moving, or possibly that they are about to come into money. Superstition holds that the most effective way to empty a home of them is to ask them to leave. One method is to sit by the rat hole and politely request that they move on. Another method is to write a letter to the vermin, preferably a short note that politely asks them to leave the property and recommends a nearby structure where they will likely flourish (such as the home of a disliked neighbor). Said missive should be neatly penned, folded, and shoved into the rat hole.
- Dreaming that one is being attacked by rats is said to reveal that someone in your life is planning to harm you.
- If a rat finds a tooth that you have thrown away, you will get a rat tooth.
- It is the sign of good luck to have a rat jump out of a drawer that you have opened.
- You should never mend any clothes that a rat has gnawed, for it will bring you bad luck.
Pebgpu bs ohfu/gerr.
Last Updated: on 12/11/2013 10:35:14 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (6:35 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum