The cache is located near the walking path along the East Branch of the Fond du Lac River in a small park. Excess snow from downtown is piled here creating a small sledding hill in winter.
Prior to 1835, Fond du Lac county was a trackless frontier except for Indian trails. The easiest transportation route at that time was by river "road". Travelers wishing to come here from the Great Lakes would go upstream the Fox River at Green Bay and cross Lake Winnebago to the Fond du Lac River. Those coming up the Mississippi River would jump on the Wisconsin River at Prairie du Chen up to Portage and then downstream the Fox River to Lake Winnebago.
After 1835, the first land route was the Wisconsin Military Road from Fort Crawford in Prairie du Chien to Fond du Lac, or after 1838 from Fort Howard in Green Bay.
Congrats to lucy and bill for FTF!