Jackson Park Pond
In Wisconsin, United States
How Geocaching Works
- This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache.
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Enjoy the relaxing view of the Jackson Park Pond
Jackson Park is a 117 acre site of metropolitan significance. It was originally a City of Milwaukee park that was turned over to Milwaukee County in conjunction with the consolidation of parks in 1937. The park is named in honor of Andrew Jackson, the seventh U.S. president (1829-1837).
Initial acquisition of land for the park commenced in 1907 when the City purchased an 80-acre parcel known as Reynolds Grove. The City Park Commissioners liked the location due to its proximity to the Kinnickinnic River. The site was ultimately named Jackson Park in 1910.
In its early years the park was devoted to passive recreation and the only structure was a picnic shelter. In the mid-1920’s the densely wooded site was thinned out in order to meet the ever increasing demand for picnic areas. At that point in time it was planned to use the entire southerly portion of the park for athletic proposes. In the late 1920’s considerable additional clearing was completed in both the older section of the park and a new 53-acre parcel. Additionally, a children’s playground was provided and a pavilion constructed.
In 1932 the City’s first outdoor pool was opened in the park and in the mid-1930’s W.P.A. labor was used to excavate the lagoon.
During 1949-50 the boating/skating pavilion adjacent to the lagoon was constructed and in 1962 a new bathhouse was opened. Over the years numerous improvements have been made within the park. One of the more recent redevelopments has been the play equipment area which was renovated in 1998.
The park also contains the Statue of Commerce or “The Pewter Lady.” This statue by sculptor Gustav Haug had originally stood over the entrance of the Chamber of Commerce building (now the Mackie Building) in downtown Milwaukee from 1880 until 1909. In 1909 the statue was moved to what was then Reynolds Grove as a gift from the South Division Civic Association. An inscription on its base reads “May this statue ever be a silent witness to the progress and growth of Milwaukee.”
This beautiful park with its numerous facilities to support both active and passive recreation attracts thousands of users each year and is one of the most popular parks for picnicking in the system.
Parking is available around the park and on Kinnickinnic River Parkway. Jackson Park is open from sunrise to 10 pm.
Permission to place this geocache given by Brian Russart, Milwaukee County Parks Natural Areas Coordinator. Permit #291.
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 9/21/2014 1:43:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time (8:43 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum