Need: Pencil, paper
Helpful items: Flashlight; map of Boone and area within 10 mi. north and west of Boone. 1:100,000 scale from topozone.com should suffice.
1. 42°02.344'N, 93°53.187'W This is the same as the coordinates given above. There is a word hidden on the front of this object, front being the side facing the street. What is it? ŒŒŒŒŒŒŒŒŒ
This word has 9 letters. Some cachers have been able to discern a 10th letter at the end which also forms a word along with the first 9; however, please use the first 9 letters that form a common word.
There are three words similarly hidden on the back of the object. What is the middle of the three? ¢¢¢¢££
2. 42°03.385'N, 93°53.450'W First of three hanging letters: ¤
These are all numbers. Object on left side: ¥¥¥¥.Nº±±±.µµµµ.W.P.F. Similar object on right side: ¶¶¶¶.NºÐÐÐ.××××.W.P.F. Look carefully.
3. 42°03.375'N, 93°53.453'W First of three words inscribed on the red stone: ØØØ You will need this step to solve Cache #2.
4. 42°03.535'N, 93°54.354'W Look up: #$%&@ €$%?ƒ You can't see this at night, but you may be able to guess what it says. If you see four words, use the right-hand two of the four. Note that one of these letters is out of place in modern English.
5. 42°01.309'N, 93°56.459'W "IN MEMORY OF »»»NE E. NYGREN »»»NIE"
Plug in the letters and numbers from Steps 1-5 into Table 1. Letters are on top, numbers on bottom.
To solve for the coordinates to the cache site, bonuses, and Steps 6-12 of Cache #2, replace the letters that appear in the coordinates with the corresponding number below that letter from the table. If a letter appears more than once in the table, always use the first occurrence of that letter (starting from the left)!! Repeat occurrences of a letter are not used. Leave the letters and numbers that currently appear in their places. Be careful to differentiate zeros (0) from the letter O.
Cache #1 Location: 42°0T.ESU'N, 93°5U.ESA'W Parking is to the southwest. A common sound in this area is Brrr-RUP! This area is in the backwaters of Saylorville and often gets flooded. Please leave cache as found so it doesn't get washed away.
Original contents: Italian change (including 1000 Lire, worth less than 50¢!), fishing line, crayons, batteries, and flat tire repair gel. Much more in Cache #2!
Optional step which can be substituted for Step 8 of Cache #2: There is an obscure cemetery with ðð gravestones at 42°0H.ANU'N, 93°5G.UET' W.ðð = •• with the digits reversed. Access is a grass-paved road directly from the west off the nearest north-south road. This step is not part of the cache because the access may be private property and driving down the "road" is tricky.
If you found Cache #1, or even just solved the clues, congratulations! Continue onward to River Valley Run Cache #2.
You can check your answers for this puzzle on Geochecker.com.