This cache is placed with the permission and at the request of the Green Lake Conference Center. Stone House Road is one of the many scenic drives through the Lawsonia Golf Course and surrounding Conference Center. The Stone House itself is in a lovely setting. The Conference Center has many good areas for finding birds; Stone House Road can at times be one of them.
The landmark that contains the cache has a completely different look to it on the side away from the road. Cache container is a small coffee can.
An abbreviated history of the Green Lake Conference Center: In the late 1800s Victor and Jessie Lawson of Chicago developed the elaborate Lone Tree Farm. Victor helped found the Associated Press and became Publisher of the Chicago Daily News newspaper at age 25; at age 38 he became the owner. He married Jessie Strong Bradley in 1880. He met her in the church choir and they honeymooned at Green Lake. They loved to escape the city life of Chicago in Green Lake. They purchased the first parcel of land in 1888 after Jessie and her friends took shelter from a storm in the area now called Lone Tree Point. It was the start of Jessie’s project that in time grew to an 1,100 acre farm. She coordinated the design and development of roads, stone walls, bridges and buildings, and oversaw the farm operation.