Truman Seymor from New York donated the land for the first county seat in Hancock County. The place was named Concord and two small buildings were built on the site in 1865 for $2,000. Within two years the buildings became too small and a new courthouse was built for $10,000 in 1868. The city of Garner annexed Concord in the 1890s. Britt attempted to have the county seat relocated there. Garner, however, retained the designation after a group of businessmen decided to buy a new site, build a courthouse there and donate it to the county. Citizens on the east side of the county contributed $25,000 towards the new building. F.W. Kinney designed the new building and Gross Construction built the structure,[which was completed in 1899.