Copied from iagen.web
The deed for this land was written June 24, 1865 by William Caster and his wife to the Methodist Church. This was not filed or recorded until April 20, 1866. In 1890 the Trustees of the Methodist Church deeded this cemetery property to the West Union Cemetery Association and it was platted in 1894. Several of the members of the Methodist Congregation in that vicinity affiliated with the Union Methodist Church in the early days of the town of Union..
In later years, the West Union country school was in this same area as the cemetery but it became known by some people as the Miller School. Likewise the cemetery was and is referred to as the West Union or Miller Cemetery.
The first burial seems to have been that of Rachel M Robinson who died in 1864 or a year before the land was deeded. On this record she is listed as number 8-5 in the northeastern corner of the cemetery. Her stone is still standing now 137 years later. In 1999 there were 186 burials found and recorded.