Ballard Cemetery is found in Section 36 of Iowa Township, Marshall County, Iowa. This cemetery is abandoned and almost completely destroyed. Also known as Arney Cemetery, Dent Cemetery, Dawson Cemetery and Poling Cemetery.
This is the oldest cemetery in Marshall County. The original owner was Sheldon Gaer, and now owned by Mike and Shelly Walton. The Original cemetery plat was down by the North road (155th Street) and was moved to the Center of the field. Deed does not show date when moved. This cemetery was so hidden with growth as to cover all traces of the cemetery and many stones were broken, missing & buried under the dirt. The cemetery has now been restored; stones repaired, buried ones have been dug up, cleaned and placed with the other stones. It stands proudly like it should for these pioneer folks. Some stones are missing as people took the stones several years ago before the present owner bought the property.
The first burial was John Ballard. The last burial was that of James Hamblin on 29 Nov 1897.