The Forbidden Forest
In California, United States
How Geocaching Works
- This cache is temporarily unavailable. Read the logs below to read the status for this cache.
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache is a NIGHT cache. It can be done only after DARK.....
The Forbidden Forest
"The forest? We can't go in there at night -- there's all sorts of things in there -- werewolves, I heard." -- Draco Malfoy
To the east of Hogwarts Castle is a large, dark forest. This forest is strictly off limits to Hogwarts students. The forest is thick with trees, as well as undergrowth such as knotgrass and thorns - but there are paths, brooks, and some clearings. If you should happen to stray off the path, the way is almost impassable.
The forbidden forest is home to a wide and strange assortment of creatures. Anything wild and dangerous that needs a place to live is put there (which is what happened to Fluffy the giant three-headed dog). Hagrid moves around the forest with respect but without fear. Any other person who has entered it, however, has emerged hoping never to enter it again.
Upon arrival at Hogwarts Professor Dumbledore forewarns all students -
"Stay strictly far away from the Forbidden Forest..."
All manner of unknown creatures live within its boundaries. Only a few brave adventurers have chosen to ignore this ominous warning... Most notably are the fearsome Acromantula !!!
The Acromantula spider is an eight-legged and eight-eyed creature. They are extremely common in the Forbidden Forest. The Acromantula are carnivorous and some are venomous, but for the most part they are relatively harmless and can sometimes be used as a potion ingredient. These Spiders are known for spinning large webs which can be terribly annoying at night.
Sage Advice from Hagrid:
1. Bring a good flashlight for each person.
2. The trailhead is just off the street down a short 30 foot easy incline. At the bottom of the incline, look to the right for a small path that will lead you to the beginning of the Trail Markers.
3. No Bush Whacking required. The entire route is on established trails. If at any point, you find yourself going off the trail - "Stop" that is not the correct way.
4. From the starting coordinates above, follow the Trail Markers that will reflect at night. Wait until it is really DARK. The Trail Markers are very difficult to see if there is any ambient light.
Very Important: Trail Markers can be seen easier if you hold your flashlight at “Eye Level”. HOLD FLASHLIGHT NEXT TO YOUR EAR! (sounds silly but it works )
5. This cache has a single waypoint the " A Mysterious Black Box"..…
See attached picture below for a good hint of what you are looking for.
6. When you find the black box, you will have to use your fingers to literally "feel" the coordinates which you will need to find the final cache site. A very small (tiny) mirror could also assist. The final cache box is about 5o0 feet away. When you get close (150 feet or so), you should start to see trail markers again leading you to the final site.
7. The final cache is hidden in the underbrush at the end of a small side trail. Look for a line of markers and then a triangle of 3 markers that signal the final spot. IMPORTANT - NO NEED TO BUSHWHACK. If you feel you have to, you are probably not on the correct trail. The final cache box has only ONE way in. It is well marked with a line of Trail Markers.
8. The Trail Markers are the size of a thumb tack, they are physically located about 8 feet off the ground. They are stuck on the side of the trees. At first, the markers can be difficult to spot, until you get used to what you are looking for, then it gets easier. Remember follow my advice about holding your flashlight right next to your ear!
9. Suggested Parking Location: N32 53.355 W117.14.452 Parking is FREE on the Weekends and Holidays. Plan on it taking roughly 1 hour to complete from start to finish.
10. Trade items for the cache should be something "NIGHT TIME" related - such as glow sticks.
Good Luck and watch out for those big nasty SPIDERS!
The DAK Girls
Much appreciation goes out to Thunder-4 for his help in maintaining the cache will we were out. This cache adventure could not have survived without his assistance. << Thank you! >>
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 4/16/2015 7:54:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time (2:54 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum