Geocaching.com


Geocaching

Welcome, Visitor!

Sign In | Create Account

Sign in with Facebook


or

Sign in with Geocaching

Forgot Username/Password

Mystery Cache

Golden Oldies

A cache by stridget
Hidden : 4/26/2005
In Iowa, United States
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size: small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


To log this cache you will need to do a short self-guided tour of some of the historical buildings in Cedar Falls. All of these sites are close together, so it should be easy to do this cache walking. During the Cedar Basin Jazz Fest/Sturgis Falls Days, it can only be done walking! The information provided for each site comes from the Cedar Falls Historical Society.

N 428 32.495 W 0928 27.060
The Beach House was originally built for bathers on the sand beach (which is no longer in existence). Acquired in 1922, Island Park serves (along with Tourist Park) as the northern entrance to downtown Cedar Falls. It originally had animals, a carousel and a tiny train for the entertainment of children and adults. Island Park is an important link in the recreation trail system.

The Beach House was destroyed by the floods of 2008. Before that it was home to a group of water lovers. How many words in the name of this group? Call this number A.

N 428 32.142 W 0928 26.982
The George Wyth House and Viking Pump Museum, once the family home of George Wyth, a founder of the Viking Pump Company, was constructed in 1907 and was purchased by the Wyth family in 1925. Two floors have been decorated in the Art Deco style with many distinguished pieces of furniture from this period, 1925 to 1935. The third floor contains a small museum that tells the story of the Viking Pump Company. The Wyth House Museum is open on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday, 2:00 p.m. to 4:30p.m., May through October.

What is the date on the plate next to the door. Take the recursive crossfoot of this date as number B.
(You might want to check (visit link) for some hints about geomath.)

N 428 32.154 W 0928 26.912
The Victorian Home and Carriage House Museum opened to the public in May 1968. The Carriage House Museum was constructed in 1991 as an addition to the Victorian Home, originally built in 1863. This unique building houses the CF Historical Society's archives, vintage clothing and memorabilia documenting the early history of a community that, in 1845, was the first permanent settlement in Black Hawk County. This Museum complex is open Wednesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Sunday 1 :00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

What is the address of the Victorian Home? This will be number C.

N 428 32. 321 W 0928 26.935
The Ice House Museum is a circular structure one hundred feet in diameter that once housed the flourishing Cedar Falls ice business. Each year 6,000 to 8,000 tons of ice, cut from the Cedar River (in the very early days known as the Red Cedar River), were stored within its hollow tile walls. In the late 1970's, thanks to a group of community-minded caring citizens, that space became a museum that tells the story of ice making. The building is listed on the National Register of Historical Places and was featured in the April 1995 Smithsonian Magazine. This museum is open Wednesday,Saturday and Sunday, 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. from May 1st through October 31st.

The last two digits of the date on the sign near the door (but not on the building) are number D.

N 428 32.291 W 0928 26.826
The Little Red School House, originally the Bennington Township School House #5, is located at First and Clay Streets. Built in 1909, the building is furnished with items from this era and may be used by school groups and others to experience those early school days. The Little Red School House is open Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. from May 1st through October 31st.

What kind of school is this? The number of words in the school type sign on the door will be number E.

N 428 32.286 W 0928 26.878
The Behrens-Rapp Service Station was originally built as the Behrens Brothers Sinclair Service Station at 1403 Waterloo Road. It was the second gasoline station built in the City of Cedar Falls. In 1943 John Rapp went to work at the station. Eventually he and his wife, Beverly, purchased the business in 1960 and it became the Rapp Service Station. Located in the path of the new highway system in Cedar Falls, the station was purchased by the Cedar Falls Tourism and Visitors Bureau, given to the Historical Society and with much community support, moved to its present site. The building now serves as an Information Center.

What is the total price (rounded to the nearest whole number) of gas advertised at this station? This will be number F.

Final Cache
The final cache is a medium Rubbermaid container. The cache can be found at:

N 42 32.XXX, where XXX = C+D+F-E+14
W 092 26.YYY where Y= (A+B)*(D+A)

This area is usually heavily infested with muggles at even the slightest hint of nice weather, so stealth is required!

On your way, notice "Epic", one of my favorite sculptures, reminiscent of the Cedar River. You can also see the relatively new band shell in Overman Park. Enjoy your tour!!

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Cevpxyl! Erzrzore gung fbzrgvzrf nygvghqr vf nf vzcbegnag nf yngvghqr.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)

Advertising with Us

 

Find...

85 Logged Visits

Found it 45     Didn't find it 14     Write note 8     Needs Archived 2     Temporarily Disable Listing 6     Enable Listing 6     Owner Maintenance 3     Post Reviewer Note 1     

View Logbook

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 8/23/2014 7:07:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time (2:07 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum