SH ~ Harshman Cemetery
In Ohio, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache is located in Riverside off of Harshman Rd on Bower Ave. Bring your own pen to log the visit.
The “SH” in the cache name above signifies a Spirit Hunt, a project by the Miami Valley Geocachers to distinguish those caches that are set in cemeteries or memorial gardens. This cache is part of that series created by MVG members to highlight cemeteries in the area. Please be respectful of the area.
This cemetery is for residents of Riverside. It started as a family cemetery for the Harshman family. The Harshman name has a lot of history in the area.
Jonathan Harshman (originally spelled Herschman), son of Christian and Catharine Harshman, was born in Frederick County, Maryland, December 21, 1781, and moved to Kentucky, but, not caring to settle permanently in a slave State, in 1805 he came to Montgomery County, Ohio, and purchased forty acres of land in what is now Mad River Township. For this he paid $30. Here he built a cabin, late in the fall hanging the door and putting in one four-light window. On February 18, 1808, he brought home his bride, Susanna Rench, born in Maryland, November 11, 1786. After his marriage Mr. Harshman set up a copper still and commenced making whisky, at which he continued until 1814, when he took the business of Rench & Staley, and moved his family to that location, now known as Harshmanville, and owned by his son, George Harshman. He also opened a store with John Rench as partner, which was afterwards moved to Dayton. In 1829 they opened a warehouse at the head of the basin, and in 1830 started a number of boats on the canal between Dayton and Cincinnati, and did a large business. Mr. Harshman was a Federalist, and a prominent Whig. He represented this county in the Twenty-fourth General Assembly of Ohio, and on May 1, 1845, was elected president of the Dayton Bank, which position he held until his death, March 31, 1850. The descendants and connections of this pioneer are among the foremost families of the county, and have always held the leading positions in its mercantile, manufacturing and professional circles.
Jonathan Harshman started building the Harshman Mansion after his 7th son was born. It is now a home to the Fletchers. They were the first investors, buying the home before the Center of Flight concept with dreams of making it a bed and breakfast. It was owned in the past by other prominent members of the community.
You can still see this house today as it sits next to the railroad overpass at 5201 Huberville Ave. Waypoint N 39° 47.116 W 084° 7.144 Riverside Community Park is adjacent to the cemetery.
V'z bayl unys bs jung V hfrq gb or.
Last Updated: on 3/11/2014 1:27:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time (8:27 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum