Totally Tubular III
In Washington, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
HELLO NEW CACHERS! I understand your excitement to find and log
cool caches like this. But please don't break it in your zeal to
find it. Please read this entire page before attempting this cache.
SPOILER WARNING! If you must know how it works, I have posted photos and descriptions of the inner workings of the cache. AFTER you have found it, you are welcome to check out the "behind the scenes" photos. It is my sincere desire that this cache inspires YOU to really think creatively and make the most out of your own caches. ~Dayspring
PLEASE NOTE: Retrieving this cache requires a simple touch. DO NOT
force in any way! Do it correctly, and the cache will reveal itself
s-l-o-w-l-y with little or no effort. NO TOOLS NEEDED!!!!
A mechanism inside the cache had been ground down due to misuse. If this cache doesn't sound right, isn't producing a result within 10 seconds, STOP what you are doing, try reversing what you have done, and notify me please. Do not let this thing run for 2 minutes as some cachers have done expecting a different result. Please follow the instructions carefully and I can keep this cache operating for everyone to enjoy. Thank you. ~Dayspring
If you liked Totally Tubular and Totally Tubular II, you will love the latest in the series. Once again, no special tools are needed.
Everything you need for extraction will be at your fingertips. The
cache is a bison capsule, so bring your own pencil. Once it is
revealed to you, open it without removing it. Please DO NOT force
this one as it is a bit delicate.
To retrieve the cache, follow the rule:
Don't poke or pry or use a tool.
A GPS is all you require
And soon this micro you'll acquire.
Don't worry if your mind's a blank
Your GPS you soon will thank.
For it contains just what you need
Just take your time, and you'll succeed.
When IT goes blank, then you will know,
Your mind is NOT about to go.
Keep positive energy facing WEST,
Isn't geocaching just the BEST?
P.S. If you want more Tubular caches, try the ultimate tubular cache: Tubulaire Extraordinaire(GC12WGA). A 6 stage multi with 4 Tubular hides.
[Spoiler: If you don't perfectly understand the poem, PLEASE read this hint before you try this cache so you don't break it!!!!] Hfr na NN onggrel. Cbfvgvir grezvany gb gur jrfg (frr J ba gbc bs ghor.) Jura eruvqvat, cynpr cbfvgvir grezvany gbjneq gur rnfg (Frr R ba gbc bs ghor), naq pbhag gb 5, gura erzbir onggrel.
- TT Guts 1Here is the basic set up. This motor and gearing was taken from the Solar Worm Kit seen here: http://robotickits.stores.yahoo.net/solarwormkit.html
It consists of a motor which turns the gears and winds a string around the spool. The aligator clamps attached to the motor make connecting the wires to the bolts in the top of the pipe cap simple for easy repair. The stick stopper and guide eye are needed to keep the string from getting caught in the gears, and to prevent the string from windin
- TT Guts 2Here is a closeup of the gearing and motor. The entire assembly is attached to a small block of wood which is a half circle that fits within the 2" pvc pipe.
- TT Guts 3Now you can see the block of wood cross section, and the guide wire which I made out of a piece of coat hangar. This guide keeps the string out of the gears, and provides a stop so the spool cannot be wound too full.
- TT Guts 4Here is the inside of the PVC cap. I simply attach the alligator clips to the wires which are in turn connected to bolts on the top of the cap that are spaced perfectly for a AA battery. A locking bolt is placed through the cap to keep the cache secure.
- TT Guts 5This shows the orientation of the inner workings which all fit inside a 2" Black PVC pipe with an endcap on the top.
Last Updated: on 9/16/2014 9:51:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time (4:51 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum