Hmmm, what is the DeLorme Challenge?
The DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer is published for all 50 states. These maps are a favorite among travelers and outdoorsmen and are available at many locations, including online directly from DeLorme. The goal of this cache is simple (Really?): find a cache on each and every block of each and every page of the Maryland and Delaware DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.
The final cache coordinates can be obtained by successfully finding a cache in each page of the Atlas (55 valid pages and sections in all).
In order to claim this cache, you must first send me an email notifying me of your completion. Bookmark lists including cache name and map number are mandatory. Also, make sure you bookmark the DeLorme Challenge Cache in your bookmark file so that it will show up on this page. If you choose, you can keep your bookmark hidden from others until ready for review. I will the review the list in my secret cache lab verifying each page needed. Once everything checks out, I will then send you the correct coordinates for the final cache! The find cannot be logged until the physical container is found and the logbook inside signed.
Current guidelines (08 November 2006):
- As mentioned above, the posted coordinates are not the actual coordinates for the cache. The actual cache may actually be quite some distance from these coordinates as they move from time to time.
- Generally accepted rules, guidelines and conditions for logging a cache find apply. These must be bona fide caches listed on Geocaching.com that you have personally (physically) found and logged. You may include caches found prior to the creation of the Maryland and Delaware DeLorme Challenge so long as they meet all other Challenge requirements.
- Cache hides will not count toward the Challenge
- All cache types count as finds or hides for the DeLorme Challenge with the exception of Locationless (RIP), Event and CITO caches.
- If a Maryland and Delaware DeLorme Atlas page includes space not located in Maryland and Delaware, only caches in the Maryland and Delaware portions count. We will go off of the posted coordinates for a cache when determining in which state or page a given cache falls.
- The three map pages of 54, 62 and 65 count as one excluding caches that fall outside of Maryland and Delaware. (Virginia, New Jersey and Pennsylvania). To further clarify, on map pages 54, 62 and 65, a cache in either of the two maps on that page (excluding caches that fall outside of Maryland and Delaware) will satisfy that page.
- Only the Delaware section of map page 63 is valid.
- Map Page 24 called Smith's Smith Island GC1YQP. This cache is not required for this block. It is on an island and very difficult and/or expensive to obtain for this challenge. However if another cache is placed within the boundaries of Map Page 24, and you have not posted your progress toward this challenge, you will be required to fill the block.
- While you may have others with you when you find the final cache, only those who have fulfilled ALL criteria for this cache will be allowed to log it as a find. Find logs by other cachers will be deleted.
- When in doubt ask—we can discuss it or even seek guidance from others, but the final decision rests with the cache owner. All decisions by the cache owner are final and binding and you may not appeal your claim.