Miladore's Old School on the Yellowstone Trail
In Wisconsin, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The Yellowstone Trail followed the railway here, and Highway 10 still does, following the same route. Notice the cobblestone facade of the Ford garage on the way through town, and the old post office, though this cache takes you instead to a long abandoned school building.
The school here was once a beautiful brick building, built 3 stories tall in this tiny town, and with many windows. The school was built in 1926, when the Yellowstone Trail was still a dirt trail along side the rail tracks.
This is one of several caches I have placed along the route of the historic Yellowstone Trail. The trail is a historic motor route that went across Wisconsin from 1918 to 1930. The Wisconsin portion of the Yellowstone Trail is 406 miles long, starting at the state line south of Kenosha and going north, and then west to Hudson.
The Wisconsin segment is just a part of one of America’s first transcontinental auto routes, a 3,754-mile long road that started in Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts and went to Puget Sound, Washington.
From a school bulletin - 1915)
RULES OF CONDUCT FOR TEACHERS:
1. You will not marry during the term of your contract.
2. You are not to keep company with men.
3. You must be home between the hours of 8 P.M. and 6 A.M. unless attending a school function.
4. You may not loiter downtown in ice cream stores.
5. You may not travel beyond the city limits unless you have the permission of the chairman of the board.
6. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he is your father or brother.
7. You may not smoke cigarettes.
8. You may not dress in bright colors.
9. You may under no circumstances dye your hair.
10. You must wear at least two petticoats.
11. Your dresses must not be shorter than two inches above the ankle.
12. To keep the schoolroom neat and clean, you must: sweep the floor at least once daily; scrub the floor at least once a week with hot, soapy water; clean the blackboards at least once a day and start the fire at 7 A.M. so the room will be warm by 8 A.M.
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 5/18/2015 3:29:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time (10:29 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum