The South Carolina DeLorme Challenge
What is the DeLorme Challenge?
In January 2004, Haicoole unveiled the California DeLorme Challenge. Many states and regions now have their own. With this cache, so does South Carolina.
Thanks to all the kind folks of the SCGA who voted this cache as the 2007 "Best Of" 5/5 Cache for South Carolina.
However, my true inspiration for this Challenge comes from The Hydrophiles' "Mother of All Caches" series, which culminates in "The Big Kahuna" (GCGA6K). "MOAC" , a highly educational series, takes you across the State of SC in various directions.
The DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer is published for all 50 states. These maps are a favorite among travelers and outdoorsmen and are available at many locations, including online directly from DeLorme. The goal of this cache is simple: To find a cache on each and every page and block of the South Carolina State DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.
The final cache coordinates can be obtained by successfully finding or having hidden a cache in each page of the Atlas. South Carolina has 48 such pages. I have found at least one cache on each of those pages prior to issuing the Challenge.
In order to claim this cache, you must first send me a file containing all of your qualifying hides and finds. (.GPX format is preferred or .LOC if you filter out your locationless, event and CITO caches ahead of time for me. At a minimum I need a list containing cache name, waypoint, and coordinates.) I will review the list in order to verify the caches. Once everything checks out, I will then send you the correct coordinates for the final cache! The find cannot be logged until the physical container is found and the logbook inside signed.
Based on feedback from and incidents seen with DeLorme Challenges in other states, some guidelines need to be laid out:
Many thanks go out to Haicoole for the original idea for this cache and to the other cache owners who have taken the idea and run with it for their own states. (And especially to Moun10Bike! I stole most of the above text from his Washington DeLorme Challenge with the blessing of OzGuff.!]
- As mentioned above, the posted coordinates are not the actual coordinates for the cache. The cache may actually be quite some distance from these coordinates! [Hint: Where are most of Llatnek's hides?]
- Generally accepted rules, guidelines and conditions for logging a cache find apply. These must be bona fide caches listed on Geocaching.com that you have personally (physically) found and logged. You may include caches found or hidden prior to the creation of the South Carolina DeLorme Challenge so long as they meet all other Challenge requirements.
- Placement of a cache on a DeLorme Atlas page counts the same as finding a cache on that page, but only if it was placed prior to April 18, 2006. Hides placed by the seeker after this date do not count toward the Challenge. This rule prohibits someone from placing a cache on each page, rather than finding a cache on each page (even though in some cases it is harder to place than to find a cache).
- All cache types count as finds or hides for the DeLorme Challenge (including virtuals and earthcaches-and I may challenge these for proof) with the exception of events, CITO's, and old-style locationless caches.
- If a South Carolina DeLorme Atlas page includes space not located in South Carolina, only caches in the South Carolina portion count. We will go off of the posted coordinates for a cache when determining in which state or page a given cache falls.
- A cache is eligible ONLY if it lies in a full block on a DeLorme page. The border (partial or half-space) blocks on each edge of each page do not count.
- While you may have others with you when you find the final cache, only those who have fulfilled ALL criteria for this cache will be allowed to log it as a find. Find logs by other cachers will be deleted.
- When in doubt ask —- we can discuss it or even seek guidance from others, but the final decision rests with the cache owner.
- Remember that this is a game and is supposed to be fun!
The final cache is located in the Midlands on private property. The property owner has given his permission for the placement of the cache.
All Cache Finders are invited to discover Llatnek's SC DeLorme Challenge GeoCoin
FTF HONORS GO TO Geo13!!!