In Iowa, United States
How Geocaching Works
Not too grimey for the Grimes Building - Nice park and grab
The James W. Grimes State Office Building, completed in late 1967/ early 1968, was the second general-use office building constructed on the Capitol Complex, the Lucas Building being the first. At the time of its construction it was hailed as a “contemporary-style building” that emphasized simplicity in its design. On the outside walls, alternate panels are recessed about four feet with glass panels in the set-back space. From the road, however, the building appears to have no windows.
The Grimes Building was also designed to hide all pipes, vents and rooftop air conditioning equipment by a low enclosure on the roof. George Shane, an art critic for The Des Moines Register newspaper, noted of the design in 1965 that “some might find in the extended roof a pleasant hint of the Oriental digressions of Frank Lloyd Wright or Edward Durrell Stone but there are no clichés or impedimenta to interfere with the design’s forth-right simplicity.”
The three-story building, which also has a basement, cost approximately $3 million to construct. Governor Harold Hughes laid the cornerstone, and the Legislature named the building for James W. Grimes, the third governor of Iowa. Prior to becoming governor, Grimes was a member of the Iowa Territorial Legislature. He was a political enemy of Governor Robert Lucas, even asking the President to remove Lucas from office. Interestingly, the first two general state office buildings on the Capitol Complex were named “Lucas” and “Grimes” in 1966.
During Grimes’ time as governor, the state Capitol was moved from Iowa City to Des Moines. Governor Grimes approved the present location of the Statehouse. He went on to be elected to the U.S. Senate in 1858 and again in 1864, and gained notoriety as a Senator for breaking party ranks, along with six other Republican senators, and voting against the impeachment of President Andrew Johnson.
James Wilson Grimes died in Burlington, Iowa, in February 1872 at the age of 55.
Check out the World War II Memorial Plaza on the west side of the building.
The cache was placed with the permission of the Department of Administrative Services.
Guvf vf zl svefg pnpur. Gevrq gb or perngvir. Ab fcrpvny gbbyf arrqrq.
Last Updated: on 5/9/2013 11:06:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time (6:06 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum