In Wisconsin, United States
Size:  (not chosen)
How Geocaching Works
Placed via Kayak.
Located on tree hanging way out over the water.
Do not go on land to access or retrieve, shoreline is private property.
From Memories of Doty Island : a link between two cities:
A major portion of the area toward the north and west was
the location of the stave yards of the Menasha Wooden Ware
Company from the 1860's until the 1930's. Wooden roofed
sheds without walls were numerous. These shelters stored
millions of barrel and pail staves during those many years.
Streets were developed early in 1900, and frame houses
were constructed. These at first were called "company houses"
because they were built by the Wooden Ware Company to pro-
vide housing for its employees and their families. Every home-
stead had a dog. The barking at sunrise and near day's end was
a notable sound. Thus, the area was called "Dog Town."
Thirty young men from "Dog Town" were called to military
duty in World War I. This was the largest group from one area
in either of the Twin Cities. An eighteen-year-old inhabitant of
"Dog Town," Ed Jankowski, was the first American man to be
drafted in 1919 and was appropriately honored by the citizens.
He died recently at the age of 97. World War II also had an
award winner from this area. First Sgt. Elmer J. Burr of
Menasha was the first Wisconsin young man upon whom the
nation's highest honor-the Congressional Medal of Honor-
When N. C. Remmel was mayor of Menasha, he brought
up the subject of identity at a council meeting. He had always
disliked calling any part of his city "Dog Town," so to honor
its military effort he authorized an informal motion to eliminate
that title and to rename the area "Libertyville." On June 9,
1920, when "Libertyville" was two years old, the city erected a
The best known and longest existing store on this side of
Menasha was the one owned by Hassan Mastaffa located at 64
Abbey Avenue. He also had a dog to protect his property. He
sold mostly canned goods, but the neighbors depended on him
to have exactly what they needed in an emergency.
The other stores at that end of town were at 320 Abbey
Avenue and called Clancy's or Van Hout's. They also sold
mostly canned goods. They would buy a case at a time and
restock when that case had been sold. The third was Anderson's
on Garfield Avenue, but this only lasted a brief time.
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 5/20/2013 12:48:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time (7:48 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum