In 2017, we’re celebrating geocaching around the world and as Signal prepares to visit Germany for Dönerstag, we’re sharing a guide on how to host an awesome Dönerstag event!
Last year, there were over 35,000 geocaching events around the globe. Events are a chance to meet fellow geocachers, swap trackables, learn about the game, share experiences, and have fun! Read on to learn how to celebrate Dönerstag wherever you are.
Remember, you can earn the first-ever Dönerstag souvenir by attending a geocaching event on April 13, 2017!
Döner kebabs, made traditionally of roasted meat cooked on a vertical spit, gained popularity in Germany in the 1980s. However, you don’t have to be in Germany to enjoy Döner kebab!
Kebab goes by many names, such as shawarma or gyros, and vary from region to region. Check out this list of similar dishes from around the world!
Make it fun
Music, games, and prizes, oh my! Preparing a few activities in advance is a great way to break the ice and keep guests having fun! We’ve gathered a few ideas to make your Dönerstag event an international success!
- Set the tone by playing German music, after all Dönerstag is a German geocaching holiday!
- Not your average logbook: create a logbook for your event in the shape of a kebab or to look like the striped Döner paper wrapper!
- Name tags are great for any event, but make a game out of it by having your guests try to match the geocaching username to the person. You never know just how many stories are behind a name!
- Variations of kebab are all around the world. For a DIY project, create a Pin the Kebab on the Country gameboard!
- Everyone loves prizes! Award prizes for the best costume or keep it simple with a random raffle drawing for all attendees!
- Want to take things up a notch? A spicy Döner sauce eating contest might be just what you’re looking for. Caution: play this game at your own risk!
You can host Event Caches anywhere available to the public — such as a restaurant or park. But be sure to find a place that has enough space and let the venue know you’re coming.
Geocaching events need to be submitted at least two weeks before the event date. Submit your Dönerstag events for review no later than March 30, 2017. Once your event has been published, share the event listing with your local geocaching organization and on social media.
Most importantly though, have fun! These awesome Dönerstag party pointers will surely make your event one to remember. Can we be invited?