- Favorite Points:
Travel to peaceful reservoirs, surround yourself with acres of trees, enjoy tasty and artsy attractions, and take in some local history in Stark County’s Cache 4 Coins GeoTour in Ohio. Find every geocache on the tour and cash in your prize: a commemorative geocoin.
Great geocaches on the GeoTour:
GC6WE2F – Oh Deer
Bring your kayaks and canoes along and spend time at the beautiful Deer Creek Reservoir. Catch sights of bald eagles, osprey, and migrating waterfowl along the shore, or white-tailed deer and coyote in the forested areas surrounding it.
GC6X2C6 – Put a Cork in it
Did you know that Ohio is home to several vineyards? The Gervasi Vineyard is a notable winery with landscapes reminiscent of Tuscany and a restaurant inspired by Venetian cuisine and architecture. It was the 2017 USA Today Readers’ Choice winner for #1 Winery Accommodations in the nation.
GC6XJOY – Blue Monkey
The downtown area of Canton has a lot to offer. You can’t go wrong with 22 art studios, 7 art Galleries, 5 live music venues, specialty shops, local restaurants, and an outdoor ice skating rink in the winter time. While gazing at the local art in the galleries keep an eye out for this monkey sculpture to find the cache.
GC6XWTN – Touchdown!
Canton is most known for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and it’s a hot spot for tourists. If you don’t have time to complete the other parts of the GeoTour, consider tackling this two-stage Multi-Cache right outside the building.
Attention to local events:
From April 26th to July 15th stop by the Canton Museum of Art to explore the “panoramic adventure” African Menagerie. This touring exhibit lets audiences understand the plight of African wildlife species and to shed light on Earth’s wildlife extinction crisis.
Visit in early August to experience the “Hall of Fame City” at its finest during the annual Pro Football Hall of Fame Enshrinement Festival.
Every weekend in September, travel back in time and visit pioneer America at the 46th Annual Yankee Peddler Festival in Canal Fulton along the Ohio & Erie Canalway.
Top reasons to visit:
- Canton and the greater Stark County region feature national historic sites and museums including the William McKinley Presidential Library & Museum and McKinley National Memorial, as well as the First Ladies’ Library & National Historic Site.
- The Canton and Stark County area offer great bird watching opportunities including sights of Bald Eagles and Peregrine Falcons. Check out a list of great birding locations provided by the Canton Audubon Society at https://cantonaudubon.org/birding-stark/.
- The area is full of additional outdoor recreation opportunities including golf, disc golf, kayaking, canoeing, cycling, and the nearby Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
- Check out the free art and history museum, Massillon Museum, next to GC6XTXY. The first Saturday of every month is FREE for family activities from 12:00-2:00 p.m. led by the local artists and museum staff.
- Stop in at the Carriage House Nature Center at Quail Hollow State Park. A two for one attraction with geocache GC6WE2W nearby. The Carriage House Nature Center features live animals, hands-on educational activities, cross-country skiing, as well as equestrian and mountain bike trails.
Logs from cachers:
We were in the area for the weekend. While here, we decided to take an adventure & do the whole Cache 4 Coins geotrail in one day! We spotted a cute fox in one of the rehabilitation pens!
It was certainly a whirlwind adventure today, but we had loads of fun exploring all around Stark County. And we came home with a new, shiny coin! Thanks for working so hard on this geotrail. We had a fantastic time today!
This is the way GeoTour caches should be hidden. We got to see an interesting place, and the cache was a quick find. Even room for swag! We are trying to get the C4C caches done today, so thanks for the easy one! TFTC
“Another day of Stark County caching with the Hiking Viking. This was a scenic and fascinating park. I never would have found this spot if it wasn’t for geocaching and the Stark Parks geo-tour. Thank you for bringing me here! I hope to return again on a warmer day.”
Find out more about the Cache 4 Coins GeoTour here.
Note: All the above information was provided by the GeoTour host. Copy has been edited by Geocaching HQ.