The weather outside may be frightful but…geocaches don’t find themselves! So the question is, how do you brave the winter (or summer heat) and still feed your need for smileys? We’ve got you covered with these all weather tips.
Tips for winter caching:
- Look for geocaches with the “Available in Winter” attribute.
- If it’s just too cold to search for caches outside, solve some Mystery Caches instead! You’ll have a whole new set of caches to find when the weather warms up.
- Dress warmly, be ready and willing to turn back if conditions change!
Tips for summer caching:
- Geocache in the early morning or later in the afternoon to avoid being outside during the hottest part of the day.
- Dress appropriately: wear sun protection, a hat, sunscreen, etc.
- Stay hydrated! Geocaching can be hard work, so bring plenty of water.
Tips for all caching:
- Always tell someone where you’re geocaching and approximately when you expect to be back!
- Leave no trace and practice CITO (Cache In Trash Out® when you can!)
- Mostly, use common sense! Although geocaches don’t find themselves, they’ll still be there the next day for you to find them safely.
What are your favorite tips for caching in all seasons? Share in the comments below!