How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This is a Micro Cache situated on the coastal path between Poldhu Cove and Mullion Cove.Poldhu Cove being the nearest beach which we frequented on those long hot summers while we were growing up.
We chose this area for our first cache as it has fond memories of our childhood, spectacular views and also some interesting history.
The Poldhu wireless station, designed by John Ambrose Fleming and erected by the Marconi Company of London from which were transmitted the first signals ever conveyed across the atlantic by wireless telegraphy. The signals consisted of a repetition of the morse letter "S" and were received at St Johns Newfoundland by Guglielmo Marconi and his british associates on the 12th Dec 1901.
To commemorate the pioneer work done by Marconi at Poldhu between 1900 and 1935 Marconi Company presented this historic land to the National Trust. Some six acres of cliffland were given in 1957 and four acres behind the cliffs, on which stood the station and mast were given in 1960.
There is a visitor centre which was opened on 12/12/2001 as part of the centenary celebrations.The centre tells the story of the transatlantic experiments,whilst also acting as the new HQ for the Poldhu Amateur Radio Club.
Parking can be found at Poldhu Cove in a pay and display car park at N50 02.063 W005 15.562. (There are some possible parking spaces in laybys on the approach to the cove).
The cache container is a 35mm film case with log book and pencil.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum