In early 18th century there was a small late medieval church on this place. It was basically a ruin though. Its doors were destroyed after centuries of usage and the roof was in awful condition.
In September 1722 the inhabitants were desperated due to a severe shortage of water. They decided to dig the earth, looking for fresh water, and promised to build a new temple if the attempt was sucessfull. They found a strong source of the precious liquid and so was started the church of São Lourenço of Almancil.
With the contribution of local citizens the construction was firmly developed, special attention given to the decoration and aesthetics of the new church. The best craftsmen were contracted. The inside was covered with blue tile artwork which is still the main attraction.
Twenty years later, in 1742, works were still in course. The major earthquake of 1755, which destroyed Lisbon and a good part of Algarve didn't cause any harm here. According to the records five tiles fall... and that was it.
Visitors will be able to visit the inside of the church for a small fee.
There is a Cultural Center nearby, usually hosting high quality exhibitions.
Further information about this curch (portuguese only).