several Minnesota geocachers (and surprise non-Minnesota geocachers!) met on a rainy day.
To be precise, it was almost five years ago, on July 27, 2002.
Historically, this was the first geocaching event in Minnesota.
We think it's time for a reunion!
Five years later later, Anoka County STILL does not allow permanent geocaches!
There are a few in the park which have not been archived.
There is PLENTY of room for temporary caches so come early and place one or two of your own.
All motorized vehicles are required to purchase a vehicle entry permit to the regional parks.
Daily permits are available for $5 per day.
Anoka Parks also honor Carver County permits and Washington County permits if you already have one of those on your vehicle.
Free parking is available at the nearby Activities Center if you want to walk in.
Parking coords = N 45° 12.724 W 093° 17.015
Follow the signs that point to the Veterans Memorial, then when you get there, go past it into the far parking lot. This parking lot is also called the "overflow" parking lot.
The event will begin at 11:00 AM and we will be based out of site of the original Cache Bash
The original shelter is gone, but in keeping with "tradition" the event will be held in that spot... we are geocachers, we are rough and tough and don't need a shelter.... right??
*** BEWARE!!! The park is FULL of poison ivy right now -- take appropriate precaution such as long pants and lots of anti-itch creme!!!
You will need to bring....
- Your own chair(s) because the shelter is gone
- Your own plates, forks, cups, etc.... also bring your own garbage sack to CITO your own stuff out of the park.
- Your own main dish or meat dish .. I don't know yet if we will have a grill available
- A dish to share, like salad or dessert or any side dish you like
- Your own drinks or sodas... I will try to have water available at my table it needed. Beer and wine are permitted in the park, but not in *large* amounts
- Bug stuff, Sun stuff, Poison Ivy stuff... the usual First Aid goodies
- optional - any surplus items you would like to donate for door prizes
Tentative Schedule of Events:
- 11:00 AM - Meet and greet at the pavilion near the parking area
- 12:00 PM - Pot Luck Lunch
- 1:00 PM - Explore the park finding the temporary caches available
- If you arrive after 1:00 PM, you are still welcome! Come for whatever time you are available
- 4:00 PM - Group photo, Door Prize Drawing
- 5:30 PM - Wrap it up! The Event ends at 6:00PM
There will be an anniversary geocoin available at the event.... limited quanity
This event is open to all geocachers, past, present and future.