How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A brief history of Sebewaing.
The restored Shebahyonk Mission House is located at N43 43.554, W083 26.543 (East Bay Street, next door to the Lutheran School)
Auchville, now known as Sebewaing, was organized February 12, 1853, as part of Tuscola County. It was first named Auchville to honor the Lutheran Missionary, Rev. J.J.F. Auch who came to the Shebahyonk area, on the Shebeon Creek, some six miles to the north of present Sebewaing, to be a missionary to the Native American Indians living there.
In 1845, Rev. Auch left Ann Arbor for the thumb area. It was at Shebahyonk that the missionaries built their mission house in the spring of 1849. It was a two-story frame building used for church activities and as a school to the Native American children. The house was used by missionaries from 1849 to 1854. In 1949, Charles Luckhard undertook restoration of the old building which now stands on Bay Street in Sebewaing. The small "Log Building" adjoining the Shebahyonk Mission House is a replica of the Chapel first erected by the missionaries at Sebewaing in July 1845.
Rev. Auch worked among the Native American Indians at both Sebewaing and Shebahyonk stations. In 1849, white settlers began moving into the area. On February 16, 1852, Immanuel Lutheran Congregation was organized. Rev. Auch was pastor at both stations.
By March of 1854, the bands of Native American Indians dwindled to a few. More and more white settlers arrived and took over the forest, making clearings on all sides. By 1856, Rev. Auch was instructed to sell the property at Shebahyonk. But the station at Sebewaing survives today.
The Native American Indians named it "Sebewaing" which in this tribe's language meant "crooked river." The Native Americans pronounced it "See-be-way-ing." The missionaries wrote it "Sibi-waing." But today common usage has contracted the pronunication to "See-bu-wing."
Arj Uvag: Ybbx ba gur jrfg fvqr bs gur fgehpgher, hc uvtu. Vg vf fgvyy zntargvp. (Naq gur pnpur vf fgvyy abg orlbaq gur sraprq-va nern.)