Pirates Treasure: Granville1 (The Miners Entrance)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The Granville is approx. 2 miles north-east of Telford Town Centre. It is owned by Telford & Wrekin Council and managed by Shropshire Wildlife Trust. It is mostly easy walking on well maintained trails. The cache is a plastic lunch box container, retrieved from Cache Dispenser. The co-ordinates for parking (room for 3 or 4 cars, using entrance off Muxton Lane), are N52°43.006 and W002°24.664
The mine at Muxton Bridge, operated by the Lilleshall Company was thought to be in operation by 1837 and closed in 1912. One of the best preserved colliery buildings is preserved at the foot of the pitmound - the remains of an engine house which once held two high pressure steam engines. This was built in 1844 and the steam engines operated the winding apparatus to lift coal and workers from the mineshafts. The position of the two shafts are marked by low brick walls in the clearing to the southeast.
Nearby, towards Muxton Lane are the remains of a wall and shaft of a Cornish Beam engine that pumped water from the mines into the canal. This has been recently been notified as a Scheduled Monument by English Heritage.
Furher information and maps of the Granville can be found at www.shropshirewildlifetrust.org.uk
va n gerr gehax !
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum