In 1737, the people of the parish of Redding voted to have a public school with three districts, "the Ridge, the west side, and Lonetown." One schoolmaster went from one to the other, teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic. By 1742, the parish voted for "three separate schools, each to be kept by a master."
Little Red School House
In 1878, a citizen of Redding funded the establishment of a public high school, the Hill Academy, in Redding Center. Ten one-room schoolhouses in strategic areas of Town served younger students in Redding, and the Town shared an 11th with Ridgefield. One of them, the Umpawaug School, built in 1789, still stands on Umpawaug Road near Route 53. Every November, the Redding Historical Society holds an open house at the Umpawaug School, which closed in 1931.
Information found on The Town of Redding History webpage
For more information visit Story of The Little Brick Schoolhouse by by Dell C. Sturges
PLEASE NOTE: Cache is NOT located within 100 feet of the school house. This is a historical land mark, please be respectful of the area while searching for this cache.