In 1754, Abraham Darby II leased Horsehay Farm with its old corn mill, pool and dam, for the purposes of creating an ironworks. The mill stream and pond were insufficient to provide the power for the furnace bellows, so a system of new pools had to be constructed to store sufficient water to allow operations to continue during the summer months.
The first “Old Row” of cottages alongside the pool, were built by the Coalbrookdale Company in the mid – 1750’s. In the 1830’s the company built the second “New Row” of cottages for its workers. The dwellings at the top end of the pool started life as a squatter community, which reflects the typical irregular pattern of the plots and lanes in this area. In 1886 the Coalbrookdale Company closed down the forges at Horsehay, and the pool was taken over by the wildlife that settled in, on and around it.
The Co-ordinates above are for Parking (room for 10 cars by the Cod Father) and the starting point for this cache. N52°39.692 W002°29.113
THIS IS NO LONGER A MULTI CACHE, GO TO FINAL STAGE CO_ORDINATES AS BELOW
Final Stage – 3 Prong Tree
Go to N52°39.824 W002°29.045