Holy-Well place of pilgrimage
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The cashe is in the wood which is around the chapel, under an old trunk. The size of the cashe is 20 x 10 x 6 cm. Altitude is 305 m.
Csatka is a village in Komárom-Esztergom county in Hungary at the North-Eastern edge of the Bakony Mountains. The first written mention of the village dates from 1326. A Pauline monastery was established here in 1357. Following Turkish destruction, the Pauline monks were able to return only in 1630. They ran a flourishing manor until the time of Joseph II who decreed many religious orders to be disbanded.
The chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin is a famous place of pilgrimage. It is connected to a holy well, the water of which is believed to be an agent of healing.
Numerous legends are attached to the Holy Well. A forest chapel has stood next to the springs since 1863, when it became a recognised place of pilgrimage. In recent years it has been visited primarily by Roma pilgrims who also celebrate mass in their own language. Interestingly, concurrently with the religious festival is a tradition, the” girl’s fair „at which parents look for a bride-to-be for their male children.
In the village is a Gothic church built in the 1300’s underwent Baroque reconstructions in 1779 and 1801.
How to get there:
There are local buses running to the settlement from Gyor, Komárom, Székesfehérvár. By car, take Route 81 to Kisbér and look for the village south, near Ácsteszér.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum