John Livingston, a 17th century botanist, apothecary and owner of the Greenhill Estate died of the plague in 1645. His body was buried in a little tomb in what is now part of Morningside. Nearly forgotten it was rediscovered in 1989, when the council wanted to issue a notice for urgent repairs on the tomb's walls, but couldn't find the owner of the property. The council claimed the title to the land and when it wasn't challenged for 10 years they renovated the place in 1999 at a cost of several thousand pounds. Since then it has been a place of rest and enjoyment for the local residents.
In December 2005 it hit the news, when the next door neighbours sealed the area off with a six-foot wire fence, claiming they owned the land. This led to an outcry in the community who wanted their little garden back and even involved the local MSP. But it took some time until the courts made the final decision on the ownership and now it is back in the council's hands and open to the public.