How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Micro cache. Bring pen or pencil. Quick grab and go on Highway 15 north of Kimball. FTF=$1
The Minnesota Department of Highways constructed this wayside rest in 1949. The plans were signed by Harold E. Olson (Engineer of Roadside Development) and four other officials of the highway department: R. J. Wolfangle (Engineer of Plans), G. G. Gladman (Engineer of Plans and Surveys), and O. L. Kipp (Chief Engineer). The nine-foot-tall, 2 1/2 ton granite monument was a gift of the Cold Spring Granite Company. The text was written by Mrs. Clayton Greely of Kimball. Caesar Copeland of the Beim Farm installed the marker's foundation, and the Kimball Centennial Committee provided funding for the foundation and the dedication ceremonies. The marker was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1949. The Kimball American Legion color guard opened the event and Glanville Smith, president of the Stearns County Historical Society, addressed the gathering. This marker replaced a previous wooden marker that commemorated the Maine Prairie Fort, which was located near this site. The Maine Prairie Fort marker was erected in June 1931 by local residents. Its text read: "Word of the Sioux Outbreak reached Maine Prairie, so named by its Maine settlers in 1856. About August 19, 1862, after forming a volunteer militia company a stockaded log fort some forty feet square was hastily built just west of this point. Some skirmishing occurred in the region, but the fort itself was not attacked."
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum