How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Gluek Park, 1926 Marshall St. NE
Acquired in 1978, Gluek Park encompasses 3.75 acres along the Mississippi River in Northeast Minneapolis. It is named for the Gluek Brewery, part of which occupied the current park land.
In 1994, the Gluek family donated money for a gazebo and river overlook. The park has new picnic tables, benches, pathways, an overlook at the riverbank, a gazebo and a drinking fountain.
a note posted on April 11 by emmanogoldfish:
Gluek Brewing started out in 1857 as Mississippi Brewery, Gluek and Rank. Gottlieb Gluek spent two years working for John Orth at one of the four breweries (that would eventually become Grain Belt).
Gluek left John Orth and joined with John Rank. Their brewery was built about a mile north of John Orth's at Twentieth Ave and Marshall NE.
In 1862, Rank left the business to become liquor dealer, and Gluek carried on the firm by himself (which was renamed Gottlieb Gluek).
In March 1880, the brewery was gutted by fire, and Gluek's sons (Louis, Charles and John) rebuilt the brewery and named it G. Gluek & Sons. During this period, the brothers declined to join the Minneapolis Brewing CO. merger. The Gluek companies did little to expand the reach of their brand and was also rather passive in marketing against both regional and non regional competitors.
What Gluek did have was the second largest number of tied saloons paying little attention to the bottled beer trade. Having that number of tied saloons was a problem when Prohibition came as Ginger Ale just could not generate enough saloon business. Luckily the Glueks had holdings in other areas such as farming.
The brewery was kept in working order during Prohibition which allowed Gluek to be able to have truckloads of beer ready to leave the gates at exactly moment that Prohibition officially ended, April 7, 1933.
With tied saloons now a thing of the past, the future was in packaging, and Gluek tried them all. He was an early adopter of the beer can. Another innovation was a product by the name of Stite, a patented new recipe of Malt Liquor which generated the nickname "Green Death".
Competition from larger regional and National brewers forced the prices down and squeezed Gluek out. Gluek was sold to G. Heileman of La Crosse in 1964. Heileman brewed at the site until 1966 when the labels were sold to Cold Spring Brewing Co. and the brewery was demolished.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum