The sculptures can be found on top of two pillars at the east end of Melville Drive, which is south of the Meadows. They were erected by the Messrs. Nelson in 1881 as a way to thank the City of Edinburgh for their support during a great fire that destroyed a large part of their premises. The Nelsons were the founders of the most extensive printing, publishing and bookbinding enterprise in Scotland at the time. For more information, please check out Old and New Edinburgh by James Grant.
The cache is slightly larger than a film container and hidden a good distance away from the columns.