This use to be a multi-stage cache. But we got a report the first stage seemed to be missing. On 10/14/01 we checked and found that it was gone. But the second stage with the coins was still there. So it has been changed to a standard single stage cache. So since this is the first time the coordinates of this cache have been published the hide date was changed to match.
Now if you park in the Amicalola Falls State park, it will cost $2.00 except Wednesdays, which are free.
While the trail is very busy especially on weekends, the cache is far enough off the trail that you should be able to check it out without being seen by non-geocachers. Just be careful when you leave the trail that no one notices you.
The old coins are just that, they are not collectibles, just old coins normally well circulated. But we think they have nostalgic value.
The Coin Cache is in a 50-caliber ammo box, again with logbook, one use camera and goodies. Most of the items are coins or coin sets, but there are a few regular items as well. Johnnie provided almost all the old coins but Allen provided the 1980 coins (the birth year of my son) and the 1983 coins (the birth year of my late daughter). Its initial contents are:
- 9 Silver Quarters
- 1907 Indian Penny
- 1935 D Wheat Penny
- 1942 Walking Liberty half-dollar
- 1943 Set of Zinc coated steel pennies (D, P, and S)
- Two 1944 Wheat Pennies
- 1953 D Wheat Penny
- A roll of 1956 D Pennies
- A roll of 1956 Pennies
- 1956 D Wheat Penny
- 1958 Penny
- 1962 D Red Penny
- 1976 (Bicentennial) Kennedy half-dollar
- 1976 (Bicentennial) Year set (half-dollar, quarter, dime, nickel, and penny)
- 1976 (Bicentennial) Quarter
- 3 sets of 1980 coins (Quarter, Dime, Nickel)
- 4 sets of 1983 coins (Quarter, Dime, Nickel)
- 2000 Virginia Quarter
- One Green Geocaching Cap.
- Some 3 Dollar Bills
- Some Wooden Nickels
- Microsoft Clock From Brushy Mountain Cache
- Geezer Gallery Bottle Opener
- One Four Pack of AA batteries
- Souvenir Thermometer with Compass
Also you can take one coin or coin set without replacing it with coins (But coins would be cool), just try to match their value. However if you do take coins, please take only one coin or coin set per person
Rating is done using the new Geocaching Rating Calculator (created by "clayjar"),