Charles XI, the Swedish King, founded Karlskrona 1680, as the new main station for the Swedish Navy.
Another important object of the new base and town was to pacify the Danish-oriented county of Blekinge, which had been ceded to Sweden in the Peace of 1658.
Charles XI visited Trossö personally in 1679, and decided almost immediately that a new town should be founded here.
It proved difficult, however, to get a natural community growing. The naval men and shipbuilders had been ordered here, but a civilian, burgher population was also required. The Navy was dependent on craftsmen and merchants to meet its needs. Charles XI therefore ordered the inhabitants of Ronneby, 30 km west, to move to the new town, taking their houses with them.
By beginning of 18th century, Karlskrona was the second largest town in Sweden, after Stockholm.
Cache is a cylindric box with snaphead, with log but no pen.