Riverside-Figueroa Street Bridge
The Riverside-Figueroa Street Bridge was built in 1927 and 1939.
The structure was originally built in 1927 as a reinforced single-arch concrete bridge with open spandrels, similar in design and form to the North Spring Street Bridge, constructed in the same year. Flooding in 1937-8 on the Los Angeles River and landslides along the adjacent Elysian Park hills damaged the bridge, necessitating the removal of the arch span and upper deck. In 1939, the deck was reconstructed along similar designs of the original while the lower portion of the bridge was inserted with a metal truss.
This bridge exhibits character-defining features of Beaux-Arts bridge design. Five pairs of decorative octagonal-shaped fluted light posts topped by lanterns line the railing.
The total length is 451.1 feet, with the largest span at 236.9 feet.
Groundspeak requirements prevent caches from being placed on bridges. The cache is not located on the bridge, but within sight of the it.
Closest parking is near the LA River Bikeway - Oso Park cache. If you park there, go for these nearby caches:
Please visit the other caches in the Los Angeles River Bridge series:
Riverside-Figueroa Street Bridge 1939
Buena Vista Viaduct 1911
Spring Street Bridge 1928
Main Street Bridge 1910
First Street Bridge 1929
Fourth Street Bridge 1930
Sixth Street Bridge 1932
Seventh Street Bridge 1927
Olympic Blvd Bridge 1925
Washington Blvd Bridge 1931