How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Just off coastal path in Carleon Cove (aka Poltesco), in the ruins of the old serpentine/pilchard works. A replacement for the original Riverside Ruins that disappeared!
Small plastic container with a white lid. Contains logbook, pen, Major Tom travel bug, marble, die and other things!
Carleon Cove was home to a pilchard cellars as early as 1695 and in use up to around 1840, superceded by a new fish cellar at Church Cove, Landewednack. In about 1848 the cellar was converted to a large serpentine factory.
Carleon House, further up the valley, was built in around 1861 as the manager’s residence for ‘The Lizard Serpentine Company at Poltesco’. The factory ceased operation in 1893 and the works demolished in 1923.
Above information taken from a great little book on the area ‘Once ‘twas serpentine and fish’, written by Michael Tangye, available from the Watch House in Cadgwith.
10 cnprf qbja gur nyyrl orgjrra gur jnyyf. (Jurer gur zvyy jurry hfrq gb ghea.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum