Every 1 Year, 1 Month, 1 Day, 1 Hour, 1 Minute, and 1 Second the numbers align and make people that have a numbers fixation smile - The next time this happens will be soon!
We wanted to bring you an event that will twist your mind - bend your will - stretch your patience - make you question your sanity - cause cats & dogs to love one another - Yes,
It's the 8-8-8 EVENT ! ! ! !
Strangely enough, this date falls on a Friday night and gives us good reason to make a Geocaching event out of it - Ready for the fun? Come on down and visit a bit.
You must choose to be one of three types of participants. (Defalt group is "C". By not choosing "A" or "B" you will be a "C")
Group A: Geocachers and friends forming competitive teams ready to do battle after dinner.
Group B: Geocachers and friends willing to help us out with the night's anticks.
Group C: Geocachers and friends that are just here for food, fun and to chear on the start of the optional 888 Challange.
All three groups will be able to post this Event as "Attended". It should be noted that group "A" will no doubt have the most fun, while group "C" will get the most sleep. Group "B" will work with us to get Video and pictures as we can while keeping things moving smoothly.
If you have ever watched a show that sounds like "The Amazing Pace" you will understand what some of you are about to endure. Eight (8) Stages spread across 3 Counties and miles of blacktop will have you questioning, "Are we first or last?"
THE 888 CHALLANGE:(optional per Groundspeak regulations)Don't ask why, just some new rules out of a hat I think.
Each team will be comprised of no less than 2 members and no more than 4 members, unless those members are children (this will be referred to as the "5 Brown Bears" Rule, as apopted from last year's 777 event. Children are defined in this game as 12 years or younger. You will need at least 2 members to complete tasks and safely navigate through the Treasure Valley. At a minimum one member must be able to legally drive & at least one team member must have a valid geocaching account on Geocaching.com.
The 888 Challange will start with you receiving a Stage One envelope - this will direct you to the Stage One coordinates and what you need to do.
Each stage will consist of a task or set of tasks to be completed (some times the task will be clear and some will take a bit of thinking) before moving on to the next stage - If there are multiple tasks offered in a stage, you may want to pick one (1) poor sucker from your team to complete one part while making another do the next task. You may also choose to utilize the whole team at all stages (more fun) - you will know what to do when you receive your envelope for each stage.
Once a stage is completed, you will receive an envelope with the coordinates (or find that you already have the coordinates) to the next stage and any instructions - Hang on to all envelopes & their contents!!!!!! You may need them for reference or other information down the road.
Following Stage Eight is the FINAL STAGE - When you find this stage, grab the top envelope and then replace the Stage exactly as you found it - anyone found assisting another team during this stage will be disqualified - NO EXCEPTIONS! The first seven envelopes will be labeled in sequential order "FIRST TO FIND" thru "EIGHTH" and the rest will be labeled "8-8-8 FINISHER". Bring the envelope you grabbed to the 8-8-8 breakfast location.
We will prepare for the 888 Challange by having dinner at Casa Mexico in Boise at 6pm - The coordinates to this event are listed above.
You will register your team by letting us know what individuals are on your team and who are valid vehicle drivers. Each driver on the team must give his valid state driver's license to a volunteer to be sealed in an envelope. The envelope will then be handed back to the owner. (see RULES section about this activity) We did verify with local Law Enforcement that we are breaking no laws, so long as the driver has his/her licence on him/her, with or without an envelope.
At 7:30pm the Rules will be read aloud so that if there are any questions, they can be answered at that time. Any other questions also need to be asked at that time - Contact phone numbers will be given out for players to be able to contact organizers during the day.
At 7:40pm, Stage One envelopes will be handed out to each Team from as they pay they're dinner tabs. Group "A" - DO NOT OPEN THESE! You will be disqualified should you open your envelope early.
At exactly 8 seconds, 8 minutes past 8pm MST on your GPSr clock the game begins - you may open your envelope at this time and begin Stage One.
Group "C" and parts of Group "B" may stay and visit as long as they like.
All Stages during the evening have the option of a team challange or a clue coordinate. The team challange will will be on site while the clue will not be. There will be no one (1) hour window in which they are available - should you need more time, take it, the other teams will not mind. If you think you are are way ahead or finished, feal free to take a nap while the other teams sneak past you. If you fail to finish in time, you may still join us at the 8-8-8 Breakfast coordinates for the winner's awards and raffle.
1) This is meant to be fun but you still must act like respectable adults at the appropriate times & places when necessary. Remember, YOU and YOUR TEAM are representing the Geocaching community. Please bring lots of energy, a good sense of humor and the spirit of adventure & competition with you.
2) All city, county, state, & federal laws, traffic laws, park rules & regulations and any other normal regulations will be followed. If you are caught breaking any of these, you will be disqualified.
3) Should you make it to a Stage prior to it opening, you are in the wrong race! Run it at your pace, It is all ready and set for you to hit it.
4) Everyone volunteering for this event is just that, a VOLUNTEER. Anyone caught giving a volunteer a hard time, verbally or physically abusing them will be disqualified and asked to leave. They will then recieve an atomic wedgy
5) You will be given ample time to complete each task, just know that you will be burning time you may need at the next Stage.
6) Dumb rule deleated.
7) AT NO TIME SHALL YOU, YOUR TEAM OR YOUR ACTIONS HINDER THE PROGRESS OF ANOTHER TEAM - THIS WILL ROB OTHERS OF THE FUN AND DISQUALIFY YOU. WORST OF ALL YOU WILL BE ON MY LIST. (You may be suprized to find out the sort of stuff I can find time to do to people on my list)
8) If you cannot find a team, post that you would like to attend and are looking for a team. We'll hook you up with the others that are looking for a team. Some how, some way, we'll find you a team. Who knows, your mutley crew of new geocaching friends made at the last few days may take first place....
9) Bring plenty of water - This is August in Idaho. Bring snacks so you can take the lead when other teams pull into the drive-thru at McDonalds to get something to munch on.
10) By playing or attending this event, you will not hold Geocaching.com, the event volunteers, and/or the Society of Rightous Cachers and/or it's members liable for any damage, accidents or injuries incurred during the event. We will not ask anyone to do anything dangerous, we just want you all to have fun. Blah blah blah blah....
11) All entrants must have submitted a "Will Attend" note to the cache page no later than 11:00 P.M.) on Thursday, July 31, 2008. Please follow this format. When you post your 'Will Attend', please include the other cachers on your team, your team name, how many players, how many will be eating at the breakfast. Anyone posting a "Will Attend" after this time will not be guaranteed (might be able to get you in, don't count on it though) a spot in the optional 8-8-8 Challange. Contact us through the cache page profile should you attempt to register after the deadline to see if you will be able to play. Sorry, but the deadline is necessary to setup everything properly.
So here is a sample log for a 'Will Attend
06/11/08 - Will Attend
Supermoose will be attending the event with Bigbopper on our team - our team will have 4 adults and one kid - our team name is "Mouse trainers Gone Mad" - 3 for dinner (Mrs. Bopper has to work and will join us later)
This is all we need in your log - I know this seems long but we need this information. Thanx and hope to see all of you at the event!
12) COST TO PLAY:
We are asking that each individual on a team bring one or more items they would like to find in a geocache to pay for registration at the dinner meeting - these items will be added to the prizes at the 8-8-8 Aftermath Breakfast. If you want to bring more than one item per player, great, please do - also, cache containers from size small to large are acceptable for payment as long as they include a log book and a writing utensil. (Lord knows we don't need any more micros out there)
13) All members of the team should be encouraged to participate in some way in each Stage (even if only to be the cheerleader) - no member is should be allowed to sit in the vehicle waiting unless they are a sleeping child with an adult or due to special circumstances or health issues what ever. (just try to keep whole team involved and haqving fun) I highly recomended that Team members should make a pact to draw a mustach on any team member caught sleeping on the job. Log books will be at each of the stages & at breakfast. Be sure to log your team into the book. It may prove to be very good thinking to also log your geo names too... hint hint
1) Good working vehicle w/ a full tank of gas
2) Good working GPS receiver (yes, this includes some Magellans)
3) Drinking water
5) Proper attire for Urban / Suburban nightcaching in August, including good shoes
6) Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses
7) Pair of gloves for each member of your team (who knows?)
8) Sense of Humor; Adventurous Spirit & the Ability to have Fun
9) Extra clothes? Extra Shoes? Extra Batteries?
This page is subject to change & will change often - please place this event on your WATCHLIST so that when I post a note about changes or updates, you will be notified.