SideTracked - Newton Abbot
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Nice easy find but beware of muggles at all times. PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN WRITING IMPLEMENT – LOG NOT SIGNED = NO SMILEY!
Newton Abbot station was opened by the South Devon Railway Company on 30 December 1846 when the line was extended from Teignmouth. It was opened through to Totnes on 20 June 1847 and a branch to Torquay added on 18 December 1848. The Moretonhampstead and South Devon Railway opened its branch line on 26 June 1866. All these railways used Brunel’s 7 ft 0¼ in (2,140 mm) broad gauge. Approaching the station from the town along Queens Road, people first saw the large goods shed. On the opposite side of the line was the pumping house for the atmospheric railway system that powered the trains for a short while. The passenger station was situated to the south of these buildings and originally consisted of two - later three - small train sheds covering separate platforms for trains running in each direction to Exeter, Plymouth and Torquay. It was rebuilt in 1861 as a single station with a larger train shed covering all three platforms. Plans were put forward to rebuild the station with four platforms, but the First World War delayed the plans. The goods facilities were moved onto the Moretonhampstead branch line on 12 June 1911. The rebuilt station was finally opened by Lord Mildmay of Flete on 11 April 1927. The station now faced the town along Queens Road, rather than the old wooden goods shed. The southbound platform had to be rebuilt again following an air raid during the Second World War. Six bombs were dropped killing 14 people. On 24 April 1987 the last trains used the former platform 4, which has allowed a level entrance to be opened from the road and an extended car park; also to go were the loop lines that allowed fast trains to pass the station without passing a platform. Resignalling was completed over the following week and Bank Holiday weekend. Full operation was restored from 5 May 1987, now controlled form a signal box at Exeter. A new junction was installed for the Paignton branch and the signals now allow trains to run either way on each track. An action group has been set up to get the line from Newton Abbot to Heathfield reinstated as a passenger carrying one now that the log trains have ceased. For more info, go to: http://www.heathraillink.co.uk/about
Raq bs envyvat, ybj qbja. Or irel fgrnygul!