How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A journey along nice places where the goddess Aphrodite a lot of years ago might have been. You will need a car to visit all places.
The Kytherian sea is the birthplace of goddess Aphrodite in the Hesiodus fable. Gaia (Earth) wanted to punish her husband Uranus ( Sky) for all the evils he had caused to her. Called her children and asked them to kill their father. Cronus took from the depths of his mother a scythe and killed him cutting his divine parts. They fell in the sea of Kythera and became two islets (possibly Dragonares). The falling blood, touched upon the sea foams and by this fusion of the elements Urania Aphrodite, was born. She did not stay on Kythera. She travelled to Cyprus in a big shell and stayed there.
Although there is not much to be found on the island of Kythera proofing that Aphrodite has been here, we want to dedicate this cache to her. In fact there is one place accessible for tourists at the place where Aphrodite appeared from the sea foams there the used to take a bath, it is said. This place is at Waypoint WP6. To make this cache more attractive we added some interesting places which each Kythera tourist should have visited.
Also we have to mention that this cache would not be possible without the help of Frank, our local contact. We are very grateful to him, not only because he helped us to make this cache possible but also he promised to carry out the maintenance.
Please visit the following waypoints:
- N36° 11.200' E22° 59.700' - From here you can see the maximum weight for cars to cross the bridge. A= the maximum weight divided by 2.
- N36° 08.750' E22° 59.496' - Notice the year number on the wall. B= the second digit of this number.
- N36° 20.833' E22° 56.974' - Again a year number. The one next to the Greek word for "MAY". C= the third digit of this number.
- N36° 14.693' E22° 59.619' - Take the downside year number being part of the date "20 IOYNIOY". D= the last digit of this number.
- N36° 17.251' E22° 55.333' - Please count the number of holes in the surrounding wall. E= the first digit of this number.
- N36° 13.669' E23° 04.435' - At this point count the teeth of the star (only the big ones). F= the amount of teeth.
- N36° 14.042' E22° 54.351' - And again a year number. G= the year number.
Next do the following:
Calculate: H= (second digit of G) - (F) + (D) + (E)
The cache coordinate is:
N36° EB.DCE' E22° AB.DHD'
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 11/15/2017 3:33:58 PM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (11:33 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum