Iszkaszentgyörgy (the village)
Iszkaszentgyörgy is a small village situated about 10 km northwest from Székesfehérvár, at the foot of Iszka hill belonging to the Bakony. It has about 1,700 inhabitants. It has been inhabited for ages and was first mentioned in documents in 1193. In the area of today's settlement, there used to be three independent villages, Iszka, Atya and Szentgyörgy. The name Iszka appeared as Icza in written records. The name Szentgyörgy occurred as Zeng Gyurk in sources from 1352. (A legend is attached to the name Szentgyörgy: knight Saint George defeated the dragon, which terrorized the region at the road to Fehérvár.) It has had its present name since 1590. Its landowner was the Szentgyörgyi family, followed by the Amadé and Bajzáth families. Later it was transferred on the female line to the Pappenheim family, the last Hungarian member of which, Szigfrid, held it until 1945.
The village is rich in historic relics, almost all cultures left traces on the region. Its bath (the Duzzogó-bath) built by Szigfrid Pappenheim. It was famous during the two world wars but its wells are already dried up. Today the village is visited mainly because of the Amadé-Bajzáth-Pappenheim castle, which was first mentioned in documents in 1735. The visit to the castle is a journey in the history of art, as it has characteristics of all styles from the Baroque Age to the neo-Classical of the 19th and the neo-Baroque of the 20th century. Other sights of the village are the Calvinist and Roman Catholic churches.
Besides agriculture and forestry, handicraft also flourished. The reputation of the wines produced in Iszkaszentgyörgy was equal to the ones of Mór.
The events of the village - the St. George Days in April, the Late Summer Merry (making around the national holiday on 20th August) and the Vintage procession (at the end of September, beginning of October) - are organized in the park of the castle. It is an ideal place to enjoy a picnic out in the nature, or simply enjoy one of Székesfehérvár’s great outdoor areas. Near the village, a new, 10 m high lookout tower await the visitor.
Parking is available by the castle or near the entrance of the stone mine of Iszkaszentgyörgy. From the castle, follow the red tourist sign to the lookout tower and the cache. From the stone mine, the dirt road shows the right track.
The cache itself is a traditional kitchen box and contains the usual logbook, pen and various trades, gifts. Beware of Muggles and please ensure that the container is covered with the bark.