Naves sala (The Island of Death)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Cache itself is small plastic box contents logbook, pencil, pencil sharpener and wet absorber
[ENG] “The Island of Death” was the nickname of a bridgehead on the left bank of the river Daugava, about 30 kilometres south of Riga. The name of the so-called island comes from the fact that the Latvian riflemen were isolated on three sides by German army, with the Daugava River behind them.. The bridgehead was 3 kilometres deep. Supplies and reinforcements had to be ferried across Daugava under German artillery fire. The bridgehead was subjected to mortar and artillery barrages daily. The Russian artillery supporting the Island of Death was stationed on the other bank of Daugava.
The 2nd and 3rd Latvian Rifleman Battalions shared the defence of the Island of Death with some Russian battalions, usually two battalions in the bridgehead itself, the rest in reserve on the right bank of Daugava. The Germans had used poison gas for the first time in World War I. Since then all fronts were prepared for such attacks, and soldiers were issued gas masks.
In 1924 there are raising a monument by architect E.Laube project (N 56°50.174 E 024°26.250)
Since the dam of Riga hydro-electric power station was built the Island of Death accessible only by boat or by swimming. Cache is placed in bunker.
[LV] No 1916.gada pavasara lidz rudenim otrais un tresais
Strelnieku bataljons kopa ar krievu dalam aizstaveja
Nelielu nocietinajumu Daugavas kreisaja krasta - prieksa
bija ienaidnieks, aizmugure - plata upe,
apkart - klajs akmenains lauks. Aizstaveties nacas
zem vacu savinu un indigo gazu uguns, kas prasija
lielus cilveku upurus, tapec si vieta tika saukta
par Naves salu.
Tumsi tek Daugavina
Smagus, melnus vilnus vel
Lielgabalu dobjus dardus
No vina krasta pari cel
Tur Naves salas uguns lauka
Lodes tikai dziesmas dzied
Un indes gazem piepilditi
savini cert elpu ciet
Bet ne jau raud un gauzas strelki
Zem granatuguns tie jautri smej
Jo zina drosi, par taisnu lietu
Tie savas asinis te lej
1924.gada pec arhitekta E.Laubes projekta te (N 56°50.174 E 024°26.250) uzcela pieminekli, kuru varam skatit vel sodien.
Pec Rigas HES uzcelsanas Naves salu iespejams apmeklet tikai ar laivu vai peldus. Slepnis atrodas bunkurii.
- Bunker entranceBunker entrance
- Monument uzrakstsMonument uzraksts
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum