How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Here are the ruins of Dartmoor’s remotest farm house. It was built in 1780 and inhabited until 1943.
The occupants seem to have had a liking for massive stonework. There are several very large gate posts near the house; and the clapper bridge, built at about the same time, is one of the Moor’s finest. It has three sets of imposts (slabs) three abreast. The newest walls were several miles long, enclosing something like 1500 acres of good grazing land.
By the river below the copse is a blowing house whose walls almost certainly provided stone for the farm house buildings. All that remains of it are two mighty boulders, in one of which are two tin moulds. It is worth a visit to inspect these and to ponder on the fact that an ingot of tin taken from the larger mould would weigh more than a large man.
Presumably the miners of Great Varracombe also made use of it, as well as those who dug in the immediate vicinity.
In later days this spot became known as the Blacksmith’s shop.
Va Gvaaref Ehooyr, ybbxbhg sbe gur jngresnyy
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum